Just kidding. Studying will never be fun. We all know it derives from the words "student" and "dying".
But anyway. I thought I'd be a typical Proud Member of the Nerd Herd [Snowman reference] and teach you all some EES. Eeeeees! [Unicorn reference]
What was that? You can't wait to learn all about Banded Iron Formations!? Well! Lucky you, you've come to the right girl.
From the Late Archaean to the Early Proterozoic, dissolved iron was present in oceans. This reacted with oxygen from photosynthetic cyanobacteria to form red iron oxide that precipitated into layers on the ocean floor. When all the oxygen had been depleted, iron-poor sediment was deposited on top of it, making a dark grey/black layer (chert). Oxygen did not build up in the atmosphere again until all chemical reactions with dissolved iron in the oceans was complete and then the built up oxygen in the oceans escaped into the atmosphere. The process repeated to form the red and black layers of BIFs. - Written by AwesomeSauce.
Pixture!
I hope you enjoyed that lesson. :) I have also been a nerd because I emailed Mr. O'Connell, to which he replied he was making dinner. Once he had finished eating, he replied back promptly to answer my queries. Alas, his dinner did not turn out as good as expected. Excerpt from his email:
"Kirra Lee,
Dinner done. Tasty not so ... I have made better."
Gotta love emailing teachers the night before exams. ;)
Now for one last quick revision of FAULTS.
HW = Hanging Wall ; FW = Foot Wall
They forgot to put in the arrows! -Gasp- There should be arrows; on the Reverse Fault the arrows should point to the blocks under compression towards one another and for the Normal Fault the blocks are moving apart.
Okay, I hope you enjoyed this (hopefully educational) blog post. :)
Wednesday, August 18, 2010
Kirra makes studying [F]or [U] [N]ow!
Labels:
Banded Iron Formations,
EES,
Faults,
Nerd Herd,
References
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteVery educational indeed. I think if I went in to do an EES trial paper I could get a mark or two. ;)
ReplyDelete